In that period of time I...
- Graduated from university with a double degree (Arts/Science).
- Earned a diploma of education in secondary teaching and became a high school English teacher.
- Realised I was in love.
- Moved out of home.
- Attended four Cure concerts in the space of a week and met Robert Smith.
- Moved in with my partner.
- Discovered I was good at animating lego using stop motion animation.
- Won a couple of awards for said animations.
- Travelled overseas for the first time.
- Got married.
- Turned 30.
- Had a son. Lost my grandfather the following day.
The one constant was David Foster Wallace.
What I didn't do in all that time...
- Try to contact David Foster Wallace.
- Attend a David Foster Wallace reading.
- Take photos of David Foster Wallace while he was reading.
- Line up after hearing David Foster Wallace read and get him to sign my 1st Ed. Hardback of IJ.
- Eventually reach the front of the line, and thus David Foster Wallace, and nervously (almost sub-audibly) admit that, yes, yes it was me who created that 'Howling Fantods' website.
- Share an uncomfortable, meaningful, and silent exchange of looks.
- Say, "oh, and would you mind signing my... I mean your... book?"
Please don't tell anybody, but Mark Nechtr desires, some distant hard-earned day, to write something that stabs you in the heart. That pierces you, makes you think you're going to die.
|< Prev||Next >|